Dual Boot Windows 8/OSX Lion – HFS+ R/W support in Apple’s drivers
Ahh, it feels strange that I’m the first to notice this… I’m sure someone could narrow down the exact driver for HFJ+ full R/W access but firstly I must explain my “Mac”/Windows setup:
- iBoot EFI Bootloader on a GUID GPT Partition Table.
- Dual Boot Windows 8 DP w/Tools + Mac OSX Lion 10.7.1
- Multibeast + Customized Drivers to suite my odd combination of hardware (To be honest, I didn’t find an exact model for my mobo but managed to dispute any conflicts via the BIOS)
- All Software Updates to date on both OS’s
- VMware 4.0.2 (with “Boot Camp” Control)
Many have probably been aware that Paragon’s latest release is a little choppy when writing files and quite slow (that’s if you even got it functioning), MacDrive latest release – the close competitor has better performance and overall more compatible with various hard-drive manufacturers IMHO. Unfortunately it’s also not functioning on Windows 8 DP; so if you’ve been struggling to have a fully sharable dual boot I suggest you do the following (especially if you have a real Mac):
- Install a recent update for Boot Camp Drivers, I’ve tried a handful of the latest (especially 64x versions), and had success without any disturbances in my driver configuration… none of my drivers were “replaced” by the virtual drivers and more support (USB Hub support) came after a full install.
- Of course, like I mentioned, someone could figure out which driver gives access to R/W support, that would be awesome and a lot more helpful (I guess that makes it free too?)
The glorious part of installing the full set of drivers for me, is having so many Mac products (Magic TrackPad, Magic Mouse, etc), are now functional in Windows 8. VMware and Boot Camp have a good way of working with each other, so it’s no problem booting back into your Mac and running Windows as a Virtual Machine. The bonus is the priority your Mac partition receives and is recognized with the Boot Camp Agent, it will even detect your Mac Boot partition:
I suggest to avoid Triple-Booting with any other Operating Systems as the boot menu for Windows 8 gets confused in Boot Camp and looks for a partition (Windows Recovery Partition) and will refuse to boot, I haven’t found a reasonable workaround yet and that may mess up your whole setup but hey, I’ll probably try it too.
Enjoy the free, non-pirated HFS+ Support!